Mr Terries Salani Ndove
Ndove was born in Vhembe District at Vuwani in an area called Davhana and due to apartheid homeland system his family was a victim of forced removal in 1969.The family then settled at Dan Village near Nkowankowa in the Greater Tzaneen Municipality. Ndove grew up in Dan Village where he received his lower and higher primary education at N’waXindzele Lower Primary and Dan Higher Primary Schools respectively. He later relocated to nearby Mohlaba-Cross Village, and completed his junior secondary schooling at Mpumulana School and matriculated in Bankuna High.
He received a Master of Business Leadership (MBL) from the University of South Africa (UNISA) in 2012, and did various modules such as Human Resource Management & Employment Relations, Strategic Management, Economics & Global Business Environment, Leadership & Organizational Dynamics, Business Research, Financial and Management Accounts, strategic financial Management and Cooperate Governance. He did his research work with specific focus on area of leadership, and the title of his thesis is “The Design and Evaluation of Measures of Leadership Styles for Use in Government Sector of South Africa.”
This follows the Master Degree in Rural Systems Management that he acquired from the University of Queensland in Australia in 2003. His major courses were; Planning and Managing of Projects, Project and Programme Evaluation, Managerial Decision Support Systems, Marketing, System Thinking, Human Resource Management, Principles of Sustainable Development, Facilitation and Leadership. His research project was about an “Overview of the Factors Affecting Adoption of Improved Technology of Smallholder Farmers in Limpopo Province.”
The then University of the North and now University of Limpopo laid his university foundation as it is where Ndove enrolled for Bachelor of Agriculture and Bachelor of Agriculture Honours Degrees which he achieved in 1996 and 1997 respectively. In the Junior Degree, his major courses included; Plant Science, Animal Science, Agricultural Economics and Soil Science, whilst in the Senior Degree which was Plant Science study, major courses encompassed; Horticultural Science, Biometry (statistics), Agronomy. He researched was on “Carrot Evaluation and [its] Response to Phosphorus Nutrition.”
He also holds qualifications in Total Quality Management and Strategic Management from UNISA. His interest in Agriculture started when he read for a Three-Year- Diploma in Agriculture at Tompi Seleka College of Agriculture which he achieved in 1985. His majors consisted of Animal production, Plant production, Soil Science and Agricultural Economics.
He has been appointed General Manager (Chief Director) for District Services for the Limpopo Department of Agriculture (LDA) since 2008 to date. In summary, his assignments focus on Rural Development & Extension Services which follow hereunder;
His work career has actually started from the LDA when he was appointed Agricultural Technician in 1986. From 1986 to 2005, he rose to Chief Agricultural Technician, Senior Agricultural Scientist, Principal Agricultural Scientist and Manager (Deputy Director) positions due to hard work.
- Providing strategic policy direction on district services and Rural Development.
- Promote and support agro-based rural enterprise development
- Promote and support agro value chain and agro-processing
- Development and coordination of rural development initiatives.
- Supporting and coordinating the implementation of all programs in the districts.
- Ensuring that strategic objectives of the department are achieved in a coordinated manner.
- Developing and implementing policy on extension and advisory services.
- Handling labour matters and negotiating for amicable settlements.
- Ensuring effective and efficient management of human resources.
- Managing and monitoring the utilization of financial resources & asserts for effective and efficient service delivery to LDA clients.
- Developing and strengthening total Human Capital development and knowledge production to enhance increased agricultural production and incomes.
- Developing & implementing integrated plans to ensure efficient management of agricultural programmes in Districts and Municipalities.
- Monitoring and evaluating implementation and impact of agricultural service delivery programmes in District and Municipalities
- Monitoring and evaluating the implementation of agricultural risk management strategies for financial viability of Agro-businesses of LDA client.
In 2005 to 2008, he worked for the Free State Provincial Government’s Department of Agriculture as Senior Manager (Director) before returning to the LDA as General Manager, and appointed Acting Head of Department 2013
Besides his academic research papers, Ndove presents papers whenever he is called to do so. In 2001, he presented a paper in Zimbabwe titled “Continuous Improvement on Participative Research and Development” for the Australian-Zimbabwe-South Africa collaborative research under the Australian Centre for International Research (ACIAR) at the ACIAR Conference.
In the same year, he presented a paper titled “Responses of Meloidogyne Incognita Egg-hatch to extracts of wild cucumber fruits” at the 15th Nematolgy Society of Southern Africa Symposium held at Sekhukhuza.
Community Involvement and Leadership Roles
Ndove has served in various communities structures like youth and civic organisations. Amongst others; he served as Agricultural Workers Union’s Vice-Chairperson and Minute Secretary for the United Democratic Front (Tzaneen). His active role in the war against apartheid and its injustices made him pay a price. He was victimised and detained without a trial under the draconian State of Emergency. He was seen as a threat by the then Apartheid State and his life was at risk, therefore the security police of that time harassed him.
He currently serves in various committees and is also a board member of the Public Sector Education and Training Authority (PSETA).
He likes reading books, swimming, and bush-walking. Ndove watches different sports on TV; preferably cricket, boxing, wrestling, soccer and athletics.